Setting Up Custom Tracking Domain (CNAME)
A Custom Tracking Domain enables the Sona tracker to be loaded from your website or store's domain, rather than a Sona domain. As a result, this approach improves tracking accuracy.
Please follow these steps to setup a Custom Tracking Domain (CNAME) for your account:
- Sign into where your DNS is managed. This could be your domain name provider or a separate DNS provider e.g. GoDaddy, Hostgator, Cloudflare, etc.
- Create a subdomain for your website or store domain
- You can select any name for the subdomain. We suggest a short name ranging from one to five letters (e.g. "sl")
- For example, if your domain is "mystore.com," then your subdomain full name would be "sl.mystore.com"
- You should set the target value to "track.sonalabs.com"
- For additional assistance setting up a CNAME, here are additional help articles from DNS providers:
- After you have setup the custom tracking domain, contact Sona so we can verify that the subdomain has propagated properly.
- Once the Domain has been verified, go back to the Sona platform
- Click on the "Settings" icon in the "Account & Settings" section on the bottom of the left sidebar
- On the "Settings" page, click on the "Activity Tracking" button
- On this "Activity Tracking" page, click on the pink "Edit Settings" button on the right hand corner
- On the pop up window that appears for "Tracking Settings", enter in the name of the Custom Tracking Domain from step 1 in the field: "Custom Domain Tracking (CNAME)"
- Click the purple "Apply" button to save your changes